I was always afraid to experiment with cauliflower pizza crust. I didn’t want to deal with the crust sticking to the pan, or being too soft, of just not giving me that feeling that I am actually eating pizza.
But let me tell you, this cauliflower pizza crust was so good! It didn’t stick to the pan; you could actually lift the portion with your hand, and it had that crusty feeling. I was happily surprised!
You can add any topic you wish. Today I didn’t have much in my fridge so this is what I was able to put together: grass-fed sausage slices, mushrooms, onions and basil. It was really tasty!
Here are a few tips on topping your pizza:
- Start with the sauce. Poor a ladle of sauce in the center of the pizza and spread it out leaving about half inch in the outside.
- If you want to use some fresh basil, this is the time to do it: under the cheese to prevent it from burning. Another option is right out of the oven.
- Now the cheese! I like to start with a good quality Parmesan cheese and use full fat mozzarella on top.
- Last thing: toppings! If you are using veggies such as bell pepper, mushrooms and onions. Cook them in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes with a little bit of olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- Meat should be pre-cooked.
Cauliflower is such a versatile and healthy vegetable! We eat it a lot in our family: steamed, roasted, grilled, riced… and now in this delicious pizza crust! If you want to learn more about the health benefits of cauliflower, Dr. Axe has a complete and reader friendly article.
And now, the recipe! Try it, I am sure you’ll love it!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 3 Cups Cauliflower Rice Frozen or Fresh
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the cauliflower rice in the microwave for about 4 minutes or until softened; let cool. If you use frozen cook it as instructed. If you use fresh cauliflower rice, place it in a bowl, cover and microwave.
- Using a clean dish towel, thick paper towel, or cheese cloth, drain cauliflower completely, removing as much water as possible.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Stir in eggs, mozzarella, Parmesan, almond flour, salt and pepper.
- Spread cauliflower mixture into a 15- by 10-inch rectangle onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the topping and place into oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.