The meatballs, cauliflower mash, onions and bacon are the perfect combination!
If you are looking for a fairly easy to make dish that hits the spot, this is it! Very comforting and tasty.
I like to use my food processor for the cauliflower mash because I found it so easy. However, you can also use an immersion blender, or an old fashion potato masher.
If you like garlic and want to add a little twist, you can oven-roast a garlic head and mix some cloves in there. It taste delicious!!
The meatballs are amazing! My mom used to use bread soaked in milk to add some moist to her meatballs. I came up with my paleo friendly version of it by mixing almond flour, greeted cheese and almond milk. You can make the recipe dairy free but eliminating the cheese and using 1 1/2 cup of almond flower. However, I like the taste of it… maybe because my mom also used to add some Parmesan cheese to her meatballs 🙂
I hope you have fun making this recipe and I am totally sure you will enjoy it!
Meatballs with Cauliflower Mash and Caramelized- Bacon Onions
For the Meatballs
- 1 Lb Ground grass fed beef
- 1/2 Cup Almond flour
- 1/4 Cup Cashew or almond milk
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Pink Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
For the cauliflower mash
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp Grass fed butter
- 1/2 tsp Pink salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 3 Pinches Nutmeg (optional)
For the caramelized onions
- 1 Big white onion Finely sliced
- 2 Pinches Salt (pink or kosher)
- 4 Strips Bacon
For the Cauliflower Mash
- Boil water in a pot big enough to fit the cauliflower. While the water is getting to its boiling point, cut the cauliflower into florets. When the water in ready, boil the cauliflower until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain the cauliflower and let cool for a few minutes. Place the cauliflower in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and process until creamy.
For the Meatballs
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. In a medium bowl mix together the almond flour, milk and cheese until well incorporated.
- In a big bowl place the ground beef. Add the flour mix and the rest of the ingredients and mix with your hands (I know… getting hands dirty is part of cooking!) until well incorporated (you want to avoid having pockets of the flower mix)
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or use a silicone baking sheet. Grease with a tiny bit of fat (avocado oil, coconut oil or butter). Using your hands shape the mix into meatballs approximately the size of a golf ball (I use two tablespoons of mix for each meatball).
- Bake the meatballs until cooked thoroughly, about 20 minutes.
For the Caramelized Onions and Bacon
- Cook the bacon on a non-stick pan until crispy.
- After removing the bacon from the pan. Lower the stove temperature to medium- low and raise the pan out of the fire for a some moments to let the fat cool (you don’t want the onion to burn). Then, incorporate the onion and season with the salt.
- Cook the onions steering occasionally until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs on top of the cauliflower mash topped with the onions.